[filmscanners] Cloning

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Cloning
  • From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@alltel.net>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:32:33 -0500

Hello all,

I've run into a strange problem in Photoshop 5.0, and I need help.  I've
been cloning successfully for weeks using the following procedure.  Find a
blemish, use the marque tool to define an area close to the blemish (same
tone), go to Edit/Define Pattern, click rubber stamp and click in area
defined by marque tool ("Aligned" is checked in the "Pattern Stamp Option"
box), move the defined area over the blemish, eliminate blemish with rubber
stamp tool.

Now something different is happening.  I find a new blemish, mark of an
area adjacent to it with the marque tool, go to Edit/Define Pattern, select
the rubber stamp and click in the defined area, move the marqued rectangle
over the blemish, and click with the rubber stamp.  I get the
*next-to-last* area that I defined cloned onto the new blemish, not the one
I just selected.  The next-to-last selected area might have been light,
while the present one is dark.  Furthermore, when I select an area and
click in it with the rubber stamp, the last area selected is stamped into
the newly defined area.

I've closed Photoshop and re-opened it.  I've rebooted the computer.  The
rubber stamp still "remembers" an old defined area and will not define a
new one.  It seems that "Define Pattern" has quit working.

There's a lot of wisdom and experience out there.  I need it, please.

Best,
John