[filmscanners] Silverfast Lamp Control on a SprintScan 4000

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Silverfast Lamp Control on a SprintScan 4000
  • From: "Jeff Stuart" <psls0001@tampabay.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:10:26 -0500

(I apologize if this is covered somewhere else, I don't know how to
search the archives here. The Silverfast PDF manuals I have provide very
little detail about the lamp brightness control.)

I've been playing around with the lamp adjustment in Silverfast AI 5.5
(in the Special tab of the Options dialog). It seems to work by slowing
the scan speed on my SS4000, thereby increasing the time spent dwelling
on a particular stripe and hence the exposure. Kinda like slowing the
shutter on a camera. Anyone know, is this correct?

If so, there are individual sliders for RGB which can be set along with
the overall brightness. Do these actually alter the scanner's color
sensitivity, or are they applied to the data after the scan?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that altering the lamp 'brightness'
(not individual colors, just the overall brightness) invalidates IT8
calibration made at a different brightness?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff