[filmscanners] Re: Nikon D100

Dickbo wrote:

> [...]

One known problem is that the light being off center has an increasing
entry angle, what works fine with conventional flat film, but the photo
sensitive cells have some depth from the surface and they can not
work with light entering them non perpendicular. Our human eye has the
photocells located on an internal side of a sphere and thus the light
rays always arrive perpendicular to them. We are still are superior
with our "bio CCD'c".

The problem with flatness of the CCD and CMOS sensors dictated even
modifications in lens design. You might browse the web pages of
Olympus, the E-20N specifically. I read there recently an article
about details of their new Zuiko Lenses for the Pro cameras, which
in my opinion utilize much better through their shape and design
the digital orientation, as compared to Nikon's and Canon's big
SLR remakes. My impression that this Olympus outranks now all
the D-1's but the atrraction of using all the expensive glass
can not be ignored.

The *.pdf E-20N brochure depicts a cross cut of a conventional
35mm lens as compared to the new lens made for the current CCD
or CMOS sensors.

I am sure that till we will be able to make non-flat semiconductors
this problem will be always there and require some special treatment,
of which none will really replace the real thing, what is a semisphere.

Thomas.