[filmscanners] RE: Protective coatings for prints?

For starters, if the prints are sticky, it is because the inks have not
completely dried or are not being absorbed into the paper completely but are
resting in a puddle on top of the paper.  If that is the case, than spraying
with an acrylic spray probaly will not work or help resolve that problem.
The inks need to dry, which in some cases could take as much as a day or two
depending on the inks, papers or substrata, and/or environmental atmospheric
conditions.  Some papers will not readily accept certain inks and absorb
them; thus, the inks will puddle on top of the paper and never really dry.
Not all combinations work together.

Secondly, the acrylic lacquer sprays will work with inkjet prints and
protect them from rough handling that causes scuff marks and finger prints;
it is still an open question as to how well they work at increasing
archivalness or prevent or deter light fading or air pollutant generated
deteriation.  The may help deter damage due to moisture; but this would be
more the case if one sprays both the front and the back surfaces to
encapsulate the print than if one just merely sprayed the front surface
allowing moisture to enter from the back.

Spraying should consist of several light layers with each layer alternating
between horizontal and vertical and where each layer is allower to dry
before puttung on the next layer.