[filmscanners] Re: Nikon D100

"Enoch's Vision, Inc. (Cary Enoch R...)" wrote:

> > [mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of
> > Julian Vrieslander
> > Subject: [filmscanners] Nikon D100
> >

> > Nikon announces its prosumer 6MP digital SLR.  Price rumored
> > to be under $2k.
> >
> <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02022105nikond100.asp>
>
> I wonder why Canon is lagging so far behind other major manufacturers in
> this area (price/performance, etc.)? Those of us who want to use our

Hm... Actually Olympus appear to me the digital leader. They dropped
the competition with the others in conventional AF cameras and made
the big early entry into the digital...

Nikon tries to regain the lost ground by mimicking Canon's solutions.
The Nikon D-100 appears to me a reply to Canon's EOS 30-D:

   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canond30/

Nikon is even that much concerned about the stampede of professionals
toward Canon, that they brainless copy all what Canon did, such like
removing aperture ring from the lenses and humbling compatibility.

I do not have the 2001 numbers yet, but these are the 2000 numbers:
based on total U.S. digital camera shipments:

    ------                                      -----       ---------
    VENDOR                                      SHARE       SHIPMENTS
    ------                                      -----       ---------
 1. Sony (Mavica, CyberShot, MVC-series)        26.1%       1,285,000
 2. Olympus (Brio, Camedia, C-series, D-series) 18.3%         900,100
 3. Kodak (DX-series, DC-series, mc3)           16.9%         830,000
 4. HP (PhotoSmart)                              8.7%         430,000
 5. FujiFilm (FinePix, MX-series)                7.9%         389,550
 6. Polaroid (Fun Flash, PDC-series, PhotoMAX)   6.1%         300,000
 7. Nikon (CoolPix, D1)                          5.0%         246,100
 8. Canon (PowerShot, A-series, S-series)        2.6%         130,000
 9. Toshiba (PDR-series)                         1.6%          77,000
10. Epson (Photo PC)                             1.3%          65,000

> Canon lenses on an affordable high-res digital body are left out in the
> cold. Anyone dreaming of a Canon digital body with a Foveon chip?

I am stunned about your point of view, please look at www.powershot.com.
Canon made 2001 the most winning gains with their s100-s300, the G1 and
G2 at the top end and later with the EOS D1 and D30 among digital SRL
cameras. Where is the "Nikons affordable SRL??"

Thomas.