[filmscanners] Re: Another grain problem

I downloaded your images to look at in Photoshop.  There are a couple of
possible reasons for what you are seeing, but they aren't grain, per say.

The main problem seems to be in the green channel and to a lesser extent
the blue.  It may be that the green channel of this scanner has poorer
dynamic range and is unable to deal with the darker areas.  The blue
channel is also a bit like this.

It could also be the way you have adjusted the gamma and black and white
points relative to the sensitivity curves of the CCD.

You might be able to fix it by trying to scan using different white and
black point positions, and then brightening or darkening with levels in
Photoshop.  Make sure you are scanning in the highest bit depth to begin
with, as this can give you a little more latitude is adjusting the
image post scan.

Lastly, you can sometimes repair or minimize this problem by adjusting
individual curves by channel.  If you can make a mask that isolates this
density step, you might be able to improve it by lightening it slightly,
but more than likely you are hitting the limitation of the scanner to
capture these darker ranges of colors, especially in the green channel.

Art