[filmscanners] Re: What moves during scan?

Bob Shomler schrieb:

> >It's not the sensor that moves, obviously, but the film.
>
> Is this the case for the LS-4000?  In my LS-30 the film stays still during
>the scan.

Hi, Bob,

I had an interesting observation with my LS-30 when it still was alive:
Using the manual film strip holder (which I usually did) My perception
was one of significant loss of sharpness when I operated the unit
*horizontally* i.e. the front view of the film strip holder showed it in
the "|" position. Apparently, something was rocked out of the layer of
sharpness that way. Never had this problem when I operated the LS-30
*vertically*, the film holder appearing as a "-" viewed from the front.
Apparently, gravity was needed to prevent the film layer from moving out
of focus during scanner operation.

Haven't checked this with my LS-40, though. I always use it in a
vertical position.

Best regards -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers