[filmscanners] Re: Polaroid SS4000, noise, and oversampling (was: VueScan 7.5 beta 8 Available)

David ...
>>You have to have noise to be able to reduce it. Noise or the lack of it is a
>>function of hardware design and in some cases profiles.

Eric ...
>Does a noiseless scanner exist?
>
>Why wouldn't oversampling and averaging help reduce hardware-caused noise?
>Hardware problems can often be somewhat fixed in software, after all.
>Eric

I'm surprised anyone is even arguing about this. Surely Eric is right
that doing multiple passes (and averaging them) will reduce noise
(obviously only random CCD noise). This is not meant to be a criticism
of a scanner make/brand.

My Minolta Dual II has some random noise - it's actually a pretty good
scanner and I'm not complaining about it - but I'd still like to be
able to get rid of that noise, especially on slides which are slightly
on the underexposed side.

In addition (at the start of this thread) we also said we'd prefer it
if Vuescan could do this averaging rather than us having to mess about
in PS - in my case at least my scanner does not produce perfectly
aligned images each time.

Steve