[filmscanners] Re: Lazy Sensor

Jack Jansen wrote:

> Art,
> Thanks for the explanation of "lazy sensor."  Too bad about the half hour
> Netscape owes you.
> I have a follow-up question.  When you say "one or more elements are
> electronically outside of the normal
> response curve, usually, it seems slower or less responsive," do you mean
> abnormal response in the TIME domain, or in the static INPUT-OUTPUT domain,
> or does your term "lazy sensor" apply to EITHER case?
> Jack Jansen

I guess I'm using this term "lazy sensor element" (LSE ??) more in the
sense of the outcome than the direct cause.  For whatever the reason,
these elements seem to not respond correctly to the light levels the
source image is providing.

 From an electronic standpoint, I might be misnaming these.  They might,
in fact, be "hyper sensor elements" (HSE ??)... since what I am noticing
is when scanning slides they are lighter than the rest, so I'm actually
unsure if this is because the element is over responding, and therefore
producing a higher or brighter result, or if they are simply not
responding fully, and therefore providing a less reactive or less
contrasted result, or if they are even slower in their response time,
and therefore not capturing the full alteration and are just lagging
behind the others. Or maybe they simply aren't getting calibrated at
all, and provide results that vary depending upon the image information.
  So, you are correct to call me on my usage.  I haven't fully thought
this out.

The result is that one or more elements are not within the standard for
the calibration and they show up as not performing like the rest.

All I know for sure is it's not good!

;-)

Art