[filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:59:10 -0600

Okay Austin, I've got the Doctor looking over my shoulder right now. He says
that with MOST scanners (especially ccd) because of the pixels sensor
density, there is light piping between sensors causing a loss of sharpness.
He thinks this is the case with most, but not all scanners. He is telling me
that a drum scanner is an exception because it masks the light going into
and out of the film. And with these scanners you can actually get better
sharpness than with a traditional enlarger. My experience didn't include
these high end scanners.

However, even with these high end scanners, _if sharpness is your goal_,
most images can benefit from electronic or digital sharpening.

Does this help?

Jack