[filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:34:08 -0600

Good morning Art!
You do bring up some interesting points.

>However, your comment brings another issue into question.  Are you
>saying that the older Nikon scanners automatically applied "electronic
>sharpening" (is that a type of electronic filtering?) which was beyond
>the true sharpness of the image, and that added sharpening artifacts?
>Does this mean we could not trust to get a non-sharpened image from some
>scanners, or was it necessary to go into a manual mode to remove this
>extra sharpening?

The process of scanning will soften an image compared to photographically
enlarging and printing an image. Nearly every scanner uses some electronic
or digital sharpening.

The amount of sharpening varies from scanner to scanner and the methods
employed vary as well. Sharpening always causes artifacts. One can determine
what kind and how much sharpening is applied by examining these artifact
signatures.

>If indeed some dyes (like some Kodachrome cyan dyes) and silver based
images
>are opaque or partially so to IR, then I assume some materials that "dirt"
can
>be made of, can also be IR opaque.  If so, I don't know how dICE can see
>"under" it.

You are right. When there are sever scratches and opaque material on the
film, Digital ICE will leave some artifacts. When there are surface
imperfections, translucent dust, fingerprints and other imperfections, the
scanner will see it and record it and Digital ICE will correct for it. And
many times, when there is opaque material on the surface of the film the
light is refracted around it. This information is used to correct the image
as well. We are constantly improving the product and finding better ways to
identify and correct defects.

I should remind you that I don't have as deep a photographic or technical
back ground as many on this list. I rely on our scientists and engineers for
my informtion. My mistake about TMAX comes to mind. I grabbed a roll of
Black and White film from my desk that we will be testing with our Digital
PIC technology. I thought it was chomogenic. But no, we plan on being able
to scan black and white film with our new technology (the one that scans
unprocessed film). I love to expose film, but I can't hold a candle to some
of the photographers on this list. I've spent some time in the dark room,
but nothing compared to many others. This technology is quite complex and
when I try to explain it without giving away trade secrets, and in a way
most can understand it, I may miss the mark. So don't hesitate to contact me
for further clarification. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to get you
one, if I can.

Thanks for your interest!

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction