[filmscanners] Re: JPEG Lossless mirror?

Mark Otway wrote:

> This afternoon I scanned 6 strips of negatives; I leave them running on
> my scanner whilst I get on with work, and didn't check them properly
> until I was on the train home.
>
> It turns out that for some reason this film was the wrong way round (I
> may have put the strips in upside down, who knows!). Anyway, having
> scanned straight to JPEG format, I could flip the images in photoshop or
> VuePrint - however, this would result in them being decoded and
> re-encoded using JPEG compression, resulting in some information loss.

This isn't so, Mark.  While you're editing an image is PS, no jpeg processing is
performed. Your'e perfectly safe.  The jpeg processing occurs only when you
save the image to a jpg file, and even then virtually no further degradation
takes place, believe it or not (you can test this yourself).

-- Patrick