[filmscanners] Re: Scanning chromogenic

> Then what happens when an image scanned in colour is desaturated in Photoshop
>and printed
> with colour inks. Epson do say, as you mentioned also, that by printing in
>this manor gives
> a smoother gradient.
>
> By keeping the scan colour RGB and desaturating it there is more information
>kept than
> scanning in grey scale.
>
> Have you tried this?
>

> Rob

Above is the original quote I was responding to.  I think we are each
answering a different question...

The question I was trying to answer was regarding if there was a
difference between the source being desaturated in Photoshop before
going to the printer versus taking a color scan and converting it to
Greyscale prior to printing it.

I was suggesting the difference here would be insignificant.  In both
cases, the image is scanned in RGB color, then color information is
removed.  In both cases the printer can either interpret it by printing
in CMYK mode  or in black only, based upon how the driver is set.
Neither source will trigger the printer into black only printing.

Now, having said this, I don't know exactly how Photoshop removed color
from an RGB file, or how it converts to greyscale mode.  If it does this
by discarding 2 channels, then there might be an issue.

Further, in Tony's response, I am not sure if in both cases he was
allowing the printer to use all the ink colors or if he used black ink
only in one, and full color to create the greyscale in the other.  That
might make quite a difference in some printer models.

I wasn't discussing scanning in greyscale versus RGB in this reply, nor
how the printing was accomplished.

Art