[filmscanners] Vuescan 4.5 Beta 5 and Minolta Elite II

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Vuescan 4.5 Beta 5 and Minolta Elite II
  • From: "" <al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:48:39 -0000

Hi,

For anyone who has been following the shadow problems that Ralf
Schmode and I have had with the new Minolta Elite II, I thought I would
let everyone know how it worked with the latest version of Vuescan.

First, the good news.  Ed Hamrick has (as usual) done a great job in
getting Vuescan working with the Elite II.  So far, despite still being a
beta version, Vuescan appears rock solid with the the Elite II.

Now the bad news.  The problems in the deep shadow areas with the
Minolta software (ie red channel banding and "lazy" pixels causing
tracks in the other channels) are just as apparent in scans done by
Vuescan.  I don't know if the calibration carried out by Vuescan differs
at all from that the done by the Minolta software but it clearly isn't able
to compensate sufficiently for the deep shadow problems which seem
inherent with the this scanner.

I mentioned before that the use of GEM in the Minolta software masked
the majority of these problems so might be a workaround in some
circumstances.  Similarly, the long exposure option in Vuescan also
helps get rid of some of the problems, in particular the red channel
banding.  It looks like the increased exposure moves the shadows
outside the CCD response range that causes that particular problem.

For negatives and properly exposed slides, the Elite II is a perfectly
capable scanner.  Unfortunately, for high contrast or underexposed
slides, my unit (and the two Ralf tried) just aren't up to the job.

Out of interest, does anyone know (from the FCC code?) who
manufacturers the Multi Pro on behalf of Minolta?   That model doesn't
seem to suffer from any of the Elite II problems and I'm curious whether
it's better designed or better manufactured.

Al Bond