[filmscanners] RE: Archiving

Absolutely, for long term storage,

The gold layer (it's not a coating, it's part of what the data is burned
into - and also the most fragile part of the CD) - most of the gold cd's
seem pretty good  - Kodak, Quantegy, Mitsui etc. Also, most of them use
phthalocyanine as the dye layer (I know Kodak does), which is, yes, more
stable.

Of course, for long term storage you need to store them properly (and NO
darn labels folks).

I'm sure I've posted before on this list the recommendations from a workshop
I took on the longevity and storage of optical and magnetic media, run by
conservation scientists who were actually doing all the testing...

search the archives for my name and CD's and it will probably show up!

tim a