[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan 7.4+ raw scan file change

Henry writes ...

> This brings me to the point of this message.  Starting with version 7.4 Ed
> has changed Vuescan from creating a raw scan file to a creating partially
> processed raw scan file.  The raw file now has infrared cleaning already
> done and, in a message a couple of days ago, Henk de Jong says that grain
> reduction processing has already been done to the raw scan file also. ...

  Even with 7.4, Vuescan has always allows for IR and GR to be left out of
the raw scan ... but with 7.4, the option for making sure the raw RGB was as
"raw" as possible was difficult to enable ... you had to make sure it was
turned off, and scan/save the raw file separate of the crop.  I.E., you
could not simultaneously scan a raw file with filters disabled AND write a
crop file with filters enabled.  I believe this is what Ed is addressing in
7.5.

  The reasons for "half-cooking" the raw file are well founded.  Some users
wnat to color correct the raw RGB data elsewhere, and possibly utilize their
own scanner profile ... but they also want Vuescan's IR and GR.  This is why
I proposed the 3rd file type, which would in essence create an "image" file
untouched by Vuescan's color corrections, but was filtered by Ed's excellent
filter and film type algorithms ... and, as well, could be later color
corrected by Vuescan.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland