[filmscanners] Re: calibration for beginners

On 19/1/02 10:23 am, "Tomasz Zakrzewski" <tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl> wrote:

> Calibration is a frequent topic on this list. But these are often highly
> advanced methods.
> I'd be interested in knowing the rudiments of calibration.
> First of all I want to achieve a "90%" matching of image put into my scanner
> with that on my monitor, with that printed on my Epson. Simple, eh? ;-)
> I'm interested in most straightforward and effective method of calibrating
> my system, without resorting to expensive hard- or software.
> I do not intend to clutter this list with unnecessary OT mails so if you can
> give link to sites devoted to this topic, this will me ok for me.
>
> Regards
>
> Tomasz Zakrzewski

Hi Tomasz
If you're Mac based try this:

Go to Adobe Gamma control panel and select Assistant, click through
accepting your previous settings (if you're happy with them) and save the
file as say "Test" to the default location (ColorSync Profiles).

Copy the file to SystemFolder/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/ColourSettings and
add the extension .csf

Restart

Now open a file in PS and go View - ProofSetup - Custom, and select "Test".

Now go Print, in the Print dialogue window set Source Space to Proof Setup,
(Test should be displayed here), now set Print Space to the same "Test".

Print and compare to monitor.

It seems to me to be a basic method of setting monitor, PS and the printer
to use the same csf. Maybe its an half arsed way to go about things but if
you have a Mac it may be worth a go. It certainly worked for me having
stumbled across it after spending 6 months getting nowhere with my prints.

I did the same for a friends iMac, Epson2450 and one of Epsons latest A3+
printers. Prints he showed me were awful, but 2 mins later trying the above
method produced excellent results.

Richard