[filmscanners] SONY GDM Monitors (was CRTs vs LCDs)

To the list --

I have a SONY GDM-F500R -- the previous version of the CRT under
discussion. I originally had a SONY GDM-F500 (no "R") which failed. It
periodically made a snapping noise and blanked the image. I returned it to
SONY but their warranty repair did not fix the problem. I returned it
again, and they gave me a GDM-F500R which suffered trapezoidal distortion
that could not be adjusted out. I returned that unit which they replaced
with a satisfactory GDM-F500R. This unit has provided good service for
approximately six months.

These CRTs have a wonderfully sharp display, separate gain and bias
adjustments for the three guns, more than enough brightness for PhotoCal
calibration, great color stability, and I like the way they look too. I
only wish I had more faith in SONY reliability and service.

One more thing concerning resolution: an earlier version of my Matrox
driver offered what I thought the optimal resolution of 1152×864 pixels at
75 Hz. The latest versions of the Matrox driver provide an even more
optimal resolution of 1280×960 pixels at 85 Hz. This is much superior to
the more common 1280×1024 (also provided) since it matches the actual
aspect ratio of the monitor -- completely filling the display and not
distorting the image. The Matrox driver lets you set resolutions for the
GDM-F500R all the way up to 2048×1536, but I think this an entirely
unusable option.

I hope this is useful information.

-- Victor Landweber