Apache-Talk @lexa.ru

Inet-Admins @info.east.ru

Filmscanners @halftone.co.uk

Security-alerts @yandex-team.ru

nginx-ru @sysoev.ru

      :: Filmscanners

[filmscanners] SONY GDM Monitors (was CRTs vs LCDs)

To the list --

I have a SONY GDM-F500R -- the previous version of the CRT under
discussion. I originally had a SONY GDM-F500 (no "R") which failed. It
periodically made a snapping noise and blanked the image. I returned it to
SONY but their warranty repair did not fix the problem. I returned it
again, and they gave me a GDM-F500R which suffered trapezoidal distortion
that could not be adjusted out. I returned that unit which they replaced
with a satisfactory GDM-F500R. This unit has provided good service for
approximately six months.

These CRTs have a wonderfully sharp display, separate gain and bias
adjustments for the three guns, more than enough brightness for PhotoCal
calibration, great color stability, and I like the way they look too. I
only wish I had more faith in SONY reliability and service.

One more thing concerning resolution: an earlier version of my Matrox
driver offered what I thought the optimal resolution of 1152864 pixels at
75 Hz. The latest versions of the Matrox driver provide an even more
optimal resolution of 1280960 pixels at 85 Hz. This is much superior to
the more common 12801024 (also provided) since it matches the actual
aspect ratio of the monitor -- completely filling the display and not
distorting the image. The Matrox driver lets you set resolutions for the
GDM-F500R all the way up to 20481536, but I think this an entirely
unusable option.

I hope this is useful information.

-- Victor Landweber