[filmscanners] Re: Video card for imaging

Alex,
No worries about being "on topic" since we're not "on list".  Just about any
decent modern video card will do fine for image editing these days.
Something with 32 meg of memory would work fine, and should be reasonably
priced.  Where the new video cards are headed, with high costs, is in the
realm of performance for games.  So unless you're a major gamer who has to
get the best frames-per-second performance as your hero kills or maims his
opponents, you don't need to go for the latest and thoroughly expensive 64
meg nVidia whatever card.

Having said that, if you do 3D graphics development that involves having to
render the file, I'm told that a fast video card can help speed that up,
though a fast cpu is what determines how quickly your file will be rendered.
What graphics apps do you use?

I built my latest pc with the express purpose of using it for graphics and
web work.  I have a Sony 19" monitor and was finding it bothersome and slow
to have to always drag the application's dialogue boxes out of the way to
see parts of the image I was working on.  This was always a sore point with
me for PhotoShop, and I found it a pain with Dreamweaver.  So, I built this
box specifically to run Windows XP so I can run dual monitors.  My second
monitor is a 15", which is fine because I just drag the dialogue boxed onto
it.  Just completed that mod this weekend and I love it.  You need to
install a 2nd video card, unless you get a special video card (Matrox sells
one) that are dual head.  This second card only needs to be basic enough to
run a monitor at the resolution you need (and must be compatible with this
function onXP).

If you run XP you'll need lots of RAM but if I recall you were going to
start at 512 meg, which is what I have and is certainly enough for XP - more
would be better of course.  And if you have more than 1 pc, networking is a
lot easier to set up with XP as is Internet access.  I have used W98SE
successfully but it's not as stable, but be sure to avoid Windows ME, it's
not a good product.

Feel free to ask anything else, I'm in and out but can usually respond
fairly quickly.  I don't mind having a conversation with someone with
similar interests.

Regards, Ken