[filmscanners] Re: VueScan Suggestions Needed

One thing that would be nice to be able to do is to batch process all the raw
scans in a folder and to output the processed files to another directory.  I
know you can do this if the scans are sequentially numbered (e.g scan001, scan
002 etc can be processed and saved as revscan001 revscan002 etc) but it does
not appear to be possible to do this if the numbers are not sequential.

To explain this a bit more, what I would like to do is to:
1) batch scan with my auto slide feeder
2) process the scans automatically with a standard set of Vuescan settings
chosen to be optimum for the "average" slide in the batch
     Si far no problem in Vuescan
3) examine the processed files and select only those files that need to be
processed with custom settings (i.e. the batch process file is unnaceptable)
4) transfer thse files to a directory
5) run Vuescan in semi-batch mode processing each file from this directory (now
not sequentially numbered) as follows.  Set Vuescan to load and preview the
next numbered file (alphabetical or numerically sorted but with missing
numbers) after each file is "scanned" and saved.  After the "standard" preview
loads, fiddle with the settings running new previews and using the new really
useful histograms (no problem with the existing set up) and then scan with the
resulting file automatically saved with its original file name (with a prefix
added if needed) into another directory.

If it proves to be too difficult to program a batch process to access
non-sequentially numbered files (i.e. just follow a directory list) it would at
least be a big help to have an option to specify that the output filename must
equal the input filename (plus a prefix if needed).

Thanks Ed.  I have been sending ideas for software improvements to various
software companies for years.  Most just go into a black hole.  Only a select
few companies ever respond.  Even fewer ever really consider the ideas.  I have
been on this list now for several months and it is clear that Hamrick is not on
the same planet as most of the rest of the software industry - you will give
the industry a good name if you are not careful.