[filmscanners] SS4000 Batch scanning blues. : (

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] SS4000 Batch scanning blues. : (
  • From: "Hill James" <jmhphoto@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:33:19 -0500

Since the 35mm roll scanning option on the SS4000 has been nixed, I need to
come up with a new plan.  I need the ability to batch scan a roll of film
unattended or I need to bite the bullet and buy a D30 or (gasp) a 1D.  I am
looking for a little guidance from some of you that may have been through my
list of options already. (keep in mind that the budget is limited or I would
have a 1D on order and be done with it)  Final output is to an Epson printer
and sometimes a Fuji frontier or light-jet.

1) I own Canon glass and do plan to eventually get a Canon digital body, but
I had hoped to put this off for another year or so.  Better prices, better
performance, etc, etc.  I shoot a lot of outdoor sports (motocross and
skydiving) where I need the exposure lattitude of neg film.  I shoot a lot
of film but don't have prints made, just the negs developed.  The need for
roll batch scanning is due to the limited time I have and the fact that I
really only want to scan once.  I tried scanning for index prints and then
scanning at full res just the selected frames but that was too much trouble.
Index prints from the lab were too small to be of any use. So, does anyone
own both a D30 and a good 35mm scanner that could convince me that the D30
would better serve my purpose?

2)  I could pick up the Canon APS body (Xi ?) and the APS adapter for the
SS4000 and just settle for a little less negative.  95% of the sports prints
I sell are 8x10 but I do like the ability of going to 12x18 on the frames
that are just right. So, does anyone have experience with scanning both 35mm
and APS on a SS4000 that would help me compare the quality difference?  I
uderstand that this will be subjective unless you have used the same lens
with both formats, and I beleive the Canon is the only APS that takes
traditional SLR glass??

3)  Are there any other good film scanners which allow full roll scanning?
I am aware of the Nikon and the Kodak.  Both are not really attractive to me
except for their roll scanning ability, and I would hate to give up the
quality I am getting from the SS4000. But if I have to compromise then this
may be the safest way to go.  Anyone used both the Nikon and the SS4000 or
maybe the Kodak and the SS4000 who could list some plus and minus points for
each?  The biggest plus on the Polaroid was it's low price for the available
resolution.

4)  Are any of you using a mail order lab that can develope and scan without
a print order?  The scans should be good enough for 8x12 (~1600x2400) but I
can scan anyting I need higher res. on.  The cost is a factor though.  A
local lab wants $18 US a roll to do this for me, which is more than I can
justify.  I currently pay $1.50 per roll for developing only, so I'm spoiled
somewhat.  On mailing issue - are they still suggesting not to mail film for
fear of it being x-ray or otherwise damaged?

5) here's the looney question of the day.  Would it be remotely possible for
someone with the tools and skills to hack/modify/reconfigure the SS4000 APS
adapter to work with 35mm film?  I have no idea how the adapter works or
have I even seen one, so be nice. ; )  With the number of units out there,
could this be a aftermarket opportunity?  I would easily spend my $200
rebate or more for the ability to scan rolls at a time.

TIA for any input.  Other suggestions welcomed too.  You may want to reply
off-list if concerning the non-scanner items, and I only have a chance to
read the list once a day right now.

James Hill
Freelance Photographer
Mebane, NC