[filmscanners] Re: Editing application

>On  Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:15:26 +1100 Des Paroz wrote:
> >Consider Photoshop Elements.  PSEL is targeted to photographers, and has
> >most of the features we would use regularly, at a fraction of the cost
> >of Photoshop Pro (PSP).
> >
> >PSP is really targeted to the high end - graphic artists, art directors,
> >etc.
>
>PSP is the common name for Paint Shop Pro, not Photoshop, a competitor.  It
>confuses the issue to call Photoshop by Paint Shop Pro's name.  I use PSP
>7,  have found it to be just right for me, and it is a fraction of the cost
>of Photoshop.  PSP's publisher, JASC software, sells it for $99 online at
><http://www.jasc.com>, although I see it in the retail stores frequently
>with a $30 or so rebate from that price.  I would say it is targeted more
>at photographers than Photoshop, although it approaches the capabilities of
>Photoshop, and has lots of graphics tools.  However, the learning curve
>isn't as steep as Photoshop's.
>
>Someone also said Paint Shop Pro doesn't support color management, which is
>dead wrong.  PSP has full support for color management.  In addition to
>being able to install color management for any defined monitor, one can
>make the image on the monitor appear to emulate the printer in use, or both
>the monitor and printer emulate the color output of any third device.  This
>is all done with standard Windows ICM files.
>
>I haven't used Photoshop Elements, but I have used all the other "mini"
>Photoshops and have them to be quite crippled, compared to PSP 7, and
>certainly compared to their parent, the full version of Photoshop.
>
>- Rick Housh -

I agree completely. I've tried everything I could get my hands on and PSP
v7.04 is what I finally settled into. I won't try to compare it directly to
all the other brands and I won't force it down anyone's throat, but I will
say it cost (after my $30 rebate <g>) about 1/10 what Photoshop goes for
retail (or about 1/5 of the special student pricing). On top of that it's
faster to use all around--seems to use memory more efficiently, too, though
I haven't done any stringent testing on that, it's just a feeling I have
from working with these various products.

Whatever one thinks about all that, PSP amounts to vast overkill for all
but a scant few of the scanned images I manipulate. That being the case,
why pay many times more for a "more" one will likely never use?

By the way, PSP also takes nearly all of the Photoshop filters.

Tris