From: Bernie Ess <albatros.bee@web.de>
To: <kingphoto@mindspring.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 6:14 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Agfa woes - Epson 2450

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny Zasada" <johnny_zasada@yahoo.com>

>I feel the same as you about the price/performance-ratio of MF film
>scanners. Did you use any other scanner for MF before Epson? Right now I'm
>wondering if it would make sense for me to upgrade from an Umax Astra 4000
>to the Epson. Don't know if the difference is that huge.

>High-Res flatbed scanners are becoming the poor medium-format mans film
>scannner.

No, I didnt have a MF scanner before, I bought it following the warmest
recommendation of a professional photographer who bought it recently and who
has the Polaroid 120, he said he now prefers sometimes the Epson to the Pola
because results look somehow more natural - he has gotten excellent results
up to 40x50cm and good ones up to 50x75cm from a 6x7neg. He also said that
up to 40x50 (about 16x20") the Epson is as good as a 5 year old 20.000$
Linotype scanner (I forgot the model - maybe a Saphire).

One thing is for sure: The extra dpi of a 4000dpi scanner are only blowing
up files extremly, even 2400dpi prints much larger than a 1160 or 1290 can
ever do.... On the other hand, the Polaroid, Nikon and Minolta is certainly
better in the fine detail and shadows, but I seriously doubt if you will see
it on a 13x18 print.

Bernhard