[filmscanners] Neat Image noise/grain removal prog, was'Anyone Have Exp WithGrainSurgery..'

Maris - thanks very much for the link.  This software is a well kept secret
(I hadn't stumbled over it despite frequent searches on this topic), but it
looks very promising indeed.

Even after a little experimentation it gives much better results than any
other method I've tried, and it is less prone to adding artefacts than
Grain Surgery.

If anyone else is looking for a noise/grain/grain-aliasing solution, I
would suggest you take a (long) look.  As Maris pointed out, the catches
seem to be:
- doesn't work on TIF's yet, so files have to be converted to/from BMP/JPG
- default settings are too high for my liking, and you DO need to read up
on how to get the best from it
- *very* slow   ..then again, perhaps my 366MHz Celeron does need that
upgrade ;-)
- struggles with 'gross' grain-aliasing (- still better than anything else
I've tried)
- still in beta form, but seems stable enough..
- doesn't work on a Mac (obvious cruel comment deleted!)

I particularly like its method of creating profiles for image types, eg I
can set up a filter to suit the grain-aliasing on Superia 400 on
my  2700dpi scanner, or one for a digicam's dark noise, and save them
individually.

And you can't complain about the current price..  :-)

mark t