[filmscanners] Re: Editing application

Hi Alex,

Do you have any darkroom experience?

The reason I ask is that Photoshop is designed around photo-darkroom
jargon, with masks and filters and the like, and it might therefore be
more comfortable for that reason.  Since I don't use the other packages
I can't comment how they are designed in those terms.

However, many have downloadable demo versions which will give you some
sense of the ease of use.  If you are just beginning, you might even
consider something like Photosuite by MGI, the Platinum edition has some
neat extra features, but even the normal version will allow for basic
editing.  This program is often offered with a very high or even full
rebate, making it quite inexpensive to own.

Photoshop Elements (about $100 list US) has the advantage of being very
similar to Photoshop, meaning the learning curve, should you eventually
outgrown it, and wish to upgrade to Photoshop is easier, but truthfully,
there are many less expensive programs than Photoshop on the market
which provide quite a lot of options, not only for the beginner, but for
the quite advanced amateur.  Corel's photo software is another option.
Some people prefer it to Photoshop, in fact.

Art