[filmscanners] RE:Polaroid scanners Firewire and Win98SE

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE:Polaroid scanners Firewire and Win98SE
  • From: "Hemingway, David J" <HEMINGD@polaroid.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:13:41 -0500

Bryan,
No, but I hear rumblings it may be able to be done. The issue is the
firewire kernel supplied by Microsoft does not support scanners. A scanner
manufacturer can write their own kernel but is takes more resources in time
and money than we have at this time with the scheduled new products and
general upgrades.
Nikon has documented a procedure that essentially uses components from ME.
Microsoft usually frowns on crossing OS components but I am told in this
case they have recommended this for firewire. I have looked briefly several
times for the procedure on the Microsoft knowledge base with no luck. I have
it on good authority it is there just do not know where.
If any Nikon users have successfully used this procedure I would be
interested to hear.

I have posted this response to the two scanner lists to see if anyone has
any info.
Regards
David