[filmscanners] Re: Full frame scans

on 12/23/01 1:59 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> It is possible for 35mm and maybe some of the smaller medium format sizes -
> 645 and 6x6 - on the Minolta Scan Multi and Multi II (I do not know about
> the Multi Pro, although I suspect it is possible there too).  However, I do
> not think you would like the process with respect to 35mm and 645 formats.
>
> First you would need to cut the film down to individual or sets of two
> frames.  Second you would have to put those frames in the glass medium
> format holder (in the case of 645 in a larger medium format glass holder)
> such that they were in the center section that the scanner will scan at the
> maximum optical resolution without interpolation.  Third you would have to
> preview and scan each frame individually.
>
> As for the black borders you would have to do that yourself in Photoshop.

Your right, I would not enjoy cutting my film down to individual frames and
using glass! What about just filing out the film holders a bit?

I've never understood why full frame holders weren't standard issue for
enlargers and film scanners. I don't get why the
designers/engineers/manufacturers believe we should want our images cropped,
and then to loose more image to flare refracting off the holders edges. Who
the hell designs these things, and what I really want to know is how that
fool managed to get a job with every manufacturer out there....

Thanks Laurie

Todd