RE: filmscanners:minolta and med format

>For the Scan Multi Pro, this is misleading at best.

Ok, I am willing to concede and accept this since I was extrapolating from
the information that I have on the two earlier models and what I have heard
or read on mailing lists and catalog blurbs for the Multi Pro.  However, it
is not inaccurate or impossible for the two earlier models using the new
Scan Multi software upgrade and the Universal Film Holder which was designed
purposefully for the purpose of scanning medium format frames in three
sections by relocating and repositioning the frame in the holder so as to
achieve maximum optical resolution scans of 2280 DPI across the whole
negative when stitched.  Otherwise the medium format frame could only be
scanned down the center portion at that maximum optical resolution and then
only when using the newer upgraded Scan Multi software.

>on the subject of interpolation

I agree with Ed on this; it certainly is interpolation.  I think it may be
debatable whether or not the scanner is actually extracting more information
*from the film* at 4800 dpi than at 3200 dpi or if it is as Ed appears to be
saying - the increase in dpi represents a function of the mechanics of the
stepper motor and not the amount of information being extracted by the
sensors.

        From the mouth of Minolta (i.e., their web site):
        4,800 dpi scanning
        The new Minolta DiMAGE Scan Multi PRO film scanner is equipped with
4,800
dpi optical resolution for 35mm. With a pixel count of more than 33-million,
an A3-size output can retain a resolution of more than 400 dpi. *Medium
format film also can have a 4,800 dpi interpolated resolution for up to 6 x
9cm high-resolution*, clear and crisp images with more than 169 million
pixels and a 600 dpi. (emphasis indicated by * is mine).

        And in another page of the web site for the Multi Pro:

Optical Resolution
 35mm film: 4,800 x 4800 dpi
120/220 film: : 4,800 (by interpolation) x 4,800 dpi

Maximum Input Resolution
 35mm film: 4,800 x 4,800 dpi
120/220 film: 4,800 (by interpolation) x 4,800 dpi

>I have the Scan Multi Pro at home.  Simply, no stitching is needed to scan
>at 3200 dpi or 4800 dpi for medium format film up to 6x9.

The information on the Minolta site suggests differently in that it suggests
that to obtain an optical resoplution on medium format up to 6x9cm you need
to use the optional Multi Format Set accessory which Minolta describes as:

Question: What size film can be used in the multi-format attachment HS-P1?
Answer:  The acceptable width in the attachment is 102mm at maximum. The
height (the length in film loading direction) is not mechanically
restricted, but the film beyond 167mm from the edge cannot be scanned. The
actual size of the scan area at maximum is 56.5x83.8mm (6x9).

I assume that this Multi Format Set along with the Universal Holder permits
one to reposition medium format film frames so as to be able to scan the
sections at the optical maximum of 4800 dpi resolution without interpolation
across the entire frame after stitching.  I say "assume" because this was
the case with the earlier models using just the upgraded software and the
then optional Universal holder alone and because I dould not find any
detailed information on the Minolta site regarding the Multi Format SET
optional accessory or how it works.

My tentative conclusion is that you may think you are scanning the entire
medium format frame at an optical 4800 dpi when in reality it is an
interpolated 4800 dpi.