Re: filmscanners: VueScan Histogram

Michael wrote:

>   Up until the latest versions I always put a hard number (%) in the Wp & Bp
> ... e.g., '0.1' or 0.01%... and because changing this number by minute
> amount changed the image more than you'd think, I had Vs write a small JPG
> direct to Photoshop (note ... such a small change in Wp% would never be
> gleened from visually inspecting a preview histogram).  When satisfied, I
> had Vs write a TIF.  Regarding newer versions, I understand Ed has changed
> what '0' means in the Bp field ... and I have to again evaluate what this
> means to the histogram.

I'm glad to see that we are using a similar process; I haven't read of any
other VS user describe their scanning workflow including the use of a
histogram.  (I get VS to send the full TIF image to VuePrint and look at the
histogram there.  The trouble with this is the time taken to save the file,
change B/W points and rescan until the image fills the range you want makes it
impractical for regular use.)

Your idea of using a JPG is a good one.  That will save time but it still won't
be as efficient as a histogram in VS.

Agreed that very small changes in B/W points make very big changes in the
image.  I don't find VS a very intuitive application to use but have spent some
time getting to know it.  It was this that led me to think that using a
histogram was a good way of determining B/W points in VS and so help to get the
most from a scan.  I certainly don't want or expect VS to be used for image
editing.

VueScan gives me good results but I just don't have the time to scan the images
I want to scan.

Bob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.