Re: filmscanners: VueScan Histogram was VueScan 7.3.2

michael wrote:

> Bob writes ...

> > And, how can you know where to set the B/W points if
> > you don't use a histogram ;)
>
>I have 2 problems with that question:

>(1) I suppose I don't know exactly what you are trying to do?

Trying to find out how VS users get the most out of a scan when using VS.
(Which begs the question of what 'most' means.  You say VS can put *all* the
RGB into a scan and make it stretch from one end of the histogram to the other,
as well
as exclude a certain percentage (which might be considered noise, or specular
highlights without detail).  I would agree that generally this would be a
suitable definition for getting the most out of a scan.)

>(2) a histogram is a visual tool, but it would be extremely difficult to
>present a truely useful histogram.  A case on point is Photoshop's
>histogram ... for accurately using it, do you pay attention to the
>visual or do you pay attention to the numbers?

Both.

>(1)  It has always been the philosohy for Vuescan ... "if there is a
>better tool in the subsequent RGB editing software, leave Vs to the
>basics."

I've heard that said and don't disagree with it.

>(2)  What would you have the histogram show?  The preview's pixels
>or absolutely ^all^ of the pixels? Numeric feedback for 8bit RGB or
>16bit? ... each individual RGB channel or some calculated "luminosity"
>value?  Which luminosity value? ... 'L' of Lab? ... 'B' of HSB?

A histogram of the scan at the bit level the scanner can produce.  Preferably
luminosity, if not RGB would do if they were displayed together.

>I don't have a problem with Ed adding a histogram, but I cannot
>imagine it otherwise being only a visual presentation, and not
>practically that useful. But let's all decide first on which histogram we
>want before we ask Ed to change it again ... and again.

VuePrint has a histogram with some numbers but not the numeric detail of
Photoshop's histogram.  Why would a histogram in VS be 'not practically that
useful'?  Last I heard indicated Ed didn't wants to add a histogram to VS so we
may not get a chance to ask him to change it again and again...

Hope this helps you understand what I am trying to do.  Do you change B/W
points in VS?  If so why and how do you decide what they should be?

Bob
still very confused about scanning

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.