filmscanners: how to clean film?

Hi filmcanners,

Apart from my regular work on slides and negs, I want to scan about 200
archival slides from the '70s. They have good colors but are scratched,
probably with dust all over and, what's worst, have fingerprints.
What should I use to clean the films? The base side is not a problem but I
want want to make any mistake with the emulsion side. The cleaning substance
shouldn;t do any harm to the emulsion, nor I want to introduce new
scratches. Is there a solution to this problem?

I almost decided to but Microtek ArtixScan 4000T ($ 850 with SilverFast)
over the Nikon 4000ED (twice that price) because I don't want to have
constant problems with DOF. But I suppose that slides like these old ones
can be a real challenge form me to scan it.
Scratches and normal amount of dust can be rid of without much problem but
I'd be a little unsure about fingerprints on the emulsion side.

What's your opinion (about cleaning and scanner choice).

Best regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski
P.S.
I'd choose Canon FS4000 but I made a test and it exagerrates even minor film
imperfections, much more than Nikons and Microteks. Also FARE does strange
things sometimes.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.