Re: filmscanners: VueScan 7.2.11 Available (new focus test)

On 12/5/01 8:40 AM, EdHamrick@aol.com <EdHamrick@aol.com>, wrote:

>In a message dated 12/5/2001 8:33:39 AM EST, rarewolf@roadrunner.nf.net
>writes:
>
>> How would these numbers relate if the preview were rotated?
>
>They don't - they're relative to the unrotated position.

I've already cast my vote for a "click on the spot" focus UI.  But I
understand that this requires more work to implement, especially for a
cross platform app.

I'm not sure that I understand your explanation above.  In an earlier
message you said that (-1, -1) would be used for the upper left corner.
Suppose I select "Device | Rotate left" and "Device | Mirror."  Now, when
I look at VueScan's screen display, is (-1, -1) now the lower right
corner, or still the upper left?  That is, does the coordinate system
rotate, flip and mirror with the image, or is it fixed to the VueScan
display window?

I think it would be best to leave it fixed to the screen, so that (-1,
-1) is always the upper left corner of the updated VueScan display.  That
means that a rotate/flip/mirror operation will move the focus to a
different physical spot on the film.  But if the coordinates transformed
with the image, the user would need to do mental operations to figure out
the focus location, and there is no visual confirmation.

If the focus location was set graphically, setting a visible marker in
the display, I would probably argue for the other convention - with the
focus point sticking to the same physical spot on the film.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.