Re: filmscanners: VueScan 7.2.11 Available

At 03:44 04/12/01, Ed wrote:
>   * Changed Nikon focus point from center of scanned area
>     to 1/3 of the way from upper left corner (works better
>     for bowed film)

This is a very good idea!

For people using the motorised feeder this may cause a different problem
though, bec the strip feeder on some machines (mine anyway) is misaligned
"front to back".  That is, the leading edge of the film is closer to the
scan head than the trailing edge.  To avoid biasing the focus point away
from one end or the other, in this sutuation the focus point needs to be on
the "y" axis.

An alternative would be to put the focus point about 1/8th of the film
width from the top or bottom edge (in the middle in the long dimension).  I
have found this gives the closer to the "average" focus point and does not
give a bias to one end or the other.

I can't see any actual advantage in putting the focus point towards a
corner rather than just near the top or bottom edge.

Julian R

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.