RE: filmscanners: 6x8

Bruce,
We are nearly neighbors!! I live in Duxbury and work in Wayland

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Bruce Kinch [mailto:pvx@ma.ultranet.com]
Sent:   Saturday, December 01, 2001 12:24 AM
To:     filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject:        RE: filmscanners: 6x8

>There should not be as we are using Newton free glass as one of the two
>pieces. Why only one is Newton free I frankly don't know but I am told that
>is all that is necessary.
>David

Newton rings are an interference cancellation from light trying to
get through two transparent but reflective surfaces that are less
than a wavelength apart.

Anti-Newton glass is very slightly rough or textured. The AN glass
normally is used only on the base (top) side of the film. Most roll
film, esp 35mm, has a shiny base, partly to reduce scratches during
film advance I presume, but that makes it prone to the problem. Most
sheet film has a "retouchable" surface, with enough "tooth" that a
pencil can be used, and that alone eliminates Newton Rings. The
emulsion side of any film is itself sufficiently rough to not need AN
glass. Besides, if used between film and optics, AN glass would
degrade the image.

Dust is less of a problem than it might seem (most is out of focus),
and is worth noting that you may not need any glass on the bottom at
all, if the film is supported by the carrier on all four sides. The
Leica Ic enlarger was (and still is) legendary for it's image
quality, and it used a single condenser lens directly atop 35mm film.
They later sold a special AN glass that slipped under the condenser
when the problem became apparent with modern films. As an aside, I've
refurbed a couple of these for friends, and as the AN attachment is
impossible to find used, I have used slide mount AN glass or an
unmounted soft-focus filter as substitutes-they worked perfectly.

Old timers used to buff glass enlarger carriers with "Jeweler's
Rouge", an ultrafine abrasive. No need to today. I've had students
make AN glass carriers for years, using "non-glare" picture framing
glass on top, and plain below, with a tape hinge. Amazing how much it
improves sharpness in conventional printing. Probably do the same in
a scanner. In fact I may make one for my 4000SS before David does:-)

--
Bruce C. Kinch
Associate Professor of Photography

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.