filmscanners: FW:SS120 reflections on the carrier?

-----Original Message-----
From:   Robert  Wright [mailto:rwrightphoto@mac.com]
Sent:   Friday, November 30, 2001 10:33 PM
To:     HEMINGD@polaroid.com
Subject:        reflections on the carrier?

Could you post this as I am digest-subscribed:

Well now I am not so sure I am seeing what I am seeing.  When I view an
image in standard view (with tool bars and grey background, I see the edge
effect we have been talking about.  But then I scanned a night scene which I
thought would have a measurable density difference (in the info pallet).
The edge effect was there, but when I rotated the image it went away.  Then
I tried looking at the image in full screen mode with a black border and the
edge effect disappeared.
Conclusion: since I could not measure a difference, and since the effect
only appears along the vertical edges of the image which are next to bright
white window bars, and since the effect goes away in full screen black mode,
it must really be the white of the window margin reflecting into dark areas
of the image, as flare within the monitor.
Try it for yourself.  Rotate an image that has the edge effect and I bet it
will not appear uniformly, but only on those edges next to the vertical
window frames.
So I'm not convinced it is the carrier, because I can't make it do what we
thought it was doing.
best
Robert Wright

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.