RE: filmscanners: pushing dynamic range on the nikon 4000ed

Excellent posting Bill.  Pity I don't scan slides nor print my scans.
Still, insightful.

> o By the way, a cool trick for comparing a scan displayed on the
> screen to the original slide is to open an empty window with a white
> background and hold the slide up to it, using the monitor as a light
> table that is perfectly matched in color temperature, spectral
> distribution and intensity to...your monitor.

I have done this in the past.

It occurred to me this week that this is not the right thing to do (I was
looking at some slide-scanning samples I've published on the web and
thinking about their colour).  Because slides are designed to be viewed
using lighting of 5000-5500K (as far as I can tell).

Windows users normally have a monitor defaulted to 6500K (or with Dell
monitors 9300K for some reason - gah!!!).  I have my PC "calibrated", using
Adobe Gamma, around a 6500K target.

Frankly, I dislike monitors calibrated for a 5000K white point.  I find I
can "see" it.  Strange, as human perception is supposed to be fully adapted
for the range 5000-5500K (or thereabouts).  I really don't know why 5000K
disturbs me.  I have the same problem with monitors set to 9300K.  I never
adapt to it.  But I expect that.

Anyhow, if you have a Mac, your system is probably calibrated around 5000K,
as far as I understand it.  So the "slide against the screen" trick should
be more truthful.

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.