Re: filmscanners: Re: Any real 4000x6000 camera back???

At 11:32 PM -0400 11/22/01, Roger Smith wrote:
>At 10:29 AM +1030 11/23/01, Mark T. wrote:
>>I understand your concerns and explanation of sensor operation, but
>>if the DCS Pro really only gives a 'true' 4Mp, surely the ouput
>>will give the game away - no-one in their right mind would pay that
>>much for it.  I must be missing something obvious..  (It's Friday,
>>so my brain may be out of gear..)
>
>At 7:59 PM -0500 11/22/01, SKID Photography wrote:
>>I don't think you're missing anything.  It's why all these cameras
>>do well with broad color objects (like
>>cars) and don't do well with finely detailed subjects, like
>>distance landscapes in winter with lots of tree
>>branches.
>>
>>It's a matter of interpolation...broad areas are easier to
>>interpolate more accurately than areas of tiny
>>detail.
>
>       The Fall 2001 issue of Kodak's Professional Imaging News has
>a full-bleed photo (8.75 x 11.75 inch) taken with the DCS ProBack on
>a Hasselblad. At first glance the sharpness and detail of the
>model's face and hair are stunning. If others have acccess to that
>magazine, it would be interesting to hear their reactions.
>
>Regards,
>Roger Smith

This discussion of whether the Kodak chip is true 16Mp or only 4Mp
seems to be based on either/or assumptions. The reality is that the
luminance (B&W) information is true 16Mp, ie, distinct and
non-interpolated allowing each sensor element to contribute discrete
information, while the color information is 4Mp, with interpolation
distributing the values to the individual 16M pixels. Our eyes pick
up detail based much more on luminance than chromanance, so the
detail perceived is based on the 16Mp, and the interpolated 4Mp
chromanance is no problem. This amount of information will enable
production of a very high quality full bleed magazine page,
considering its printing constraints.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design