Re: filmscanners: Any real 4000x6000 camera back???

"Mark T." wrote:

> Austin wrote:
> >I would conclude, without any
> >further information, that is does use a color quad, and does interpolate the
> >color information as was speculated in the other post.
> >
> >BTW, it would be 2000 x 2000, not 1000 x 1000... ;-)
>
> So, pro photographers are being asked to pay an extortionate amount for a
> device which will only give about 180 pixels per inch on an 11" x 8"
> printout, from something originally taken on say a Hasselblad??
>
> I understand your concerns and explanation of sensor operation, but if the
> DCS Pro really only gives a 'true' 4Mp, surely the ouput will give the game
> away - no-one in their right mind would pay that much for it.  I must be
> missing something obvious..  (It's Friday, so my brain may be out of gear..)
>
> mt

I don't think you're missing anything.  It's why all these cameras do well with
broad color objects (like
cars) and don't do well with finely detailed subjects, like distance landscapes
in winter with lots of tree
branches.

It's a matter of interpolation...broad areas are easier to interpolate more
accurately than areas of tiny
detail.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC