Re: filmscanners: VueScan clipping & flat images

The following is taken from VueScan's help file.  It seems to me that B&W
points of 0% should leave all of the pixels in the scan.  (Having said that,
when looking at a histogram, it does seem that some pixels either go beyond the
black point or there are a mumber of pixels _at_ the black point.)

It seems to me that setting B/W to 0% results in what Jawed is calling a flat
image.  Jawed (if you're reading this!) does a histogram of one of your flat
VueScan images extend all, or most of the way, from 0 to 255?  I find with my
flat VueScan mages that do not range across the histogram but leave,
particularly at the white point end, a lot of unused values.  If that is the
case with your images I wonder if you would try to increase the white point to
0.05 or 0.1 and see what that does to the image.  I would be interested in your
results compared to Nikonscan especially if you set the white point to _just_
fill the histogram.

Black point (%)
The black point is used by the color balance algorithm and is computed by using
the histogram of each color in the image. Use this option to leave the black
point at the minimum intensity (0%), or to choose the black point such that
some percentage of the pixels in the image are below the black point.

White point (%)
The white point is used by the color balance algorithm and is computed by using
the histogram of each color in the image. Use this option to leave the white
point at the maximum intensity (0%), or to choose the white point such that
some percentage of the pixels in the image are above the white point.

Bob Armstrong