Re: filmscanners: Pre scan viewer?

I suppose it depends on the resolution of the webcam and if you have
software to make easy inversions.

It would probably be a lot easier to just locate an old consumer grade
video camera, or even some older camcorders had the feature.  It's
funny, but I'm not sure the newer ones have it (the neg/pos switch) as
"standard equipment" anymore.

The camera/camcorder either needs to have a very close macro lens or
have the ability to have close up adapters added. At the time when I
bought the video camera many moons ago, I also bought an adapter which
was designed for reviewing or videotaping negs and slides.  It is a
close up adapter/len and a tube with a frosted glass at one end.  You
place a light source there.  There are both nag and slide carriers, and
there is a slot fro them in the tube.  There is a second slot which
holds the filters.  There was one for slides, which wasn't really
necessary, and another for negative films, which wasn't very effective
as films changed, and therefore the masks did as well, so I started to
use filter packs I made up from Cibachrome enlarger filter packs.  SInce
most older video cameras had manual white balance settings, one could
also adjust that aspect (although it mainly moved the color balance from
red through blue)

The other option is to see if you can find one of the nicer systems
which was made by Tamron.  You might find these used rather cheaply as
well.  It was a video transfer system for film, using a macro lens,
backlighted platform, and an electronic color filtering system of some
sort and used a CCD chip video sensor.  They actually weren't bad,
although the resolution wasn't anything to write home about.  But the
main advantage is that this is direct "real time" type of viewing, no
scanning no processing.

Anyway, that's what I know about this stuff, as it if your webcam will
function, depends upon the type of output you can get from it.

Art

Ian Jackson wrote:

> Art,
>
> So do you think it might be possible to rig up a low cost equivalent
> using a web camera?
>
> Ian

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.