RE: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

My point is that, with RAID 0, if one disk fails the data on all the  disks
is lost.  Also, MTBF is additive in this case because of what I previously
said.  You've got more than one set of platters and heads to fail and any
one of them failing blows away the data.  I realize the chances of problems
are very small but drives do still fail.  My day job is architecting and
administering very large database systems (1 Terabyte RAIDS) and I do see
drives fail.  I'd never use RAID 0 for one of these systems.

For typical use though, you are right that it's very unlikely to be a
problem.  I just think it's kind of unnecessary unless there's a justified
need for performance.  Video editing would be a good example.

To keep this remotely on topic, I just ordered a Minolta Scan Multi Pro.  I
should have it in 2 weeks.

Paul Wilson

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.