Re: filmscanners: OT: Zooms and sharpness, was Website ref.

I would also point out that the site owner refers to the original potential
criticism, and I quote:

===================<beginquote>
Many would say that such a consumer grade zoom lens is not real sharp. While it
would be nice to see a better lens along with this test, it does show that a
zoom lens can do an excellent job. Note resolution test area 3 is far off-axis
yet still produces detail needing 4000 to 6000 dpi scans to resolve! The 6000
dpi 35mm scan produces amazingly sharp 19x28 inch prints even at the edge
(print at 300 dpi).

If the sprintscan 4000 dpi is representative of the detail in the image, it
shows the resolving power of the lens + film is on the order of 80 line pairs
per mm off axis
(4000 dpi/2pxl per line pair/25.4mm per inch=78.7 line pairs/mm).

These tests also show that the detail recorded on the very fine grained
Fujichrome Velvia film is still limited by film grain, not lens resolution.
These tests, the results, and conclusions are consistent with thousands of
other images I have obtained with my 35mm and 4x5 systems.

I think remarkably sharp images can be obtained from most 'consumer grade'
zooms *at their best aperture*.  I base that on viewing Kodachromes projected
to about 6ft across (using a very sharp Leitz lens for the projection.. :-)

Sure, many 28-whatever zooms have questionable quality, but it is quite easy to
see when a slide is sharp and if it is, surely the tests are valid.

mt