Re: filmscanners: Canon FS4000 scanner 'review'

Thanks for that Tom.

> > Unit has no eject button which is annoying -
> Yes, the partial solution is to switch it on and off, works like eject

My concern would be that I would guess turning the scanner on and off
needlessly will somewhat reduce its lifespan, and puts needless load on the
electronics.  Not a big issue, just a silly design decision IMO.

> > scan app.  Does an awful lot of stuff in memory, so 512K RAM at least
> I am using it with 256MB, for one full resolution scan works without disk
> swapping (Win2000)

Hmm - the test machine was also Win 2000 & 256M, and it did a lot of diskwork -
maybe poorly setup..?

> >.. more closely, the noise was pretty obvious.
> If you are working on underexposed slides you should change exposure by 1 or 2
> stops in FilmGet. In this case you will get normal noise level.

So do you mean that the noise level drops, *relative* to shadow detail?  The
scan I got was not at all washed out from overcompensation for the
underexposure, so I (perhaps rashly) assumed that if the exposure was run down
far enough to get rid of the noise, too much shadow detail would go with it..
Certainly when I tried to adjust the final image's gamma (post-scan), that's
exactly what happened.

> I will show on Monday some examples.
Look forward to seeing them. :-)

Regards, mt