Re: RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Pixels per inch vs DPI

Austin wrote..
>..I DID stick to the
> ball...please point it out...I am interested.

I'm away from my normal PC right now, so I can't quote the lines that I felt
were getting personal (a convenient cop-out, I know!), but comments like this:

'..but I really don't know what more I can explain...and I don't know how much
more basic I can get...  Sigh.'

..are a bit of a put-down in my book.  Perhaps I am just the overly sensitive
type, but I would be a bit offended if they were comments directed towards me.
Anyway, back to the debate, which I hope isn't getting too off-topic..

> But why IS 9 larger than 4?  You didn't explain
> why.

We have to some basic 'given's', otherwise nothing can be discussed... :-)

> Saying a dye cloud has more information content
> than A pixel is NOT ambiguous at all, it's just
> a fact..

Yes, agreed.  But my (and I think Rob's) point is that fact is not of much
importance unless you are heading for a useful conclusion, eg saying that
'electronic sensors will never give higher resolution than film.'  There are
many factors involved in that question, eg over what size area? (Why do we use
6x7 instead of 35mm? - Because of those darned too-big dye clouds, that's why!)
 And I'm concerned about recording the image, not dye clouds.  In the same way
that we use larger format films, and smaller dye-clouds as methods to get
better images, we can keep reducing the size of the 'pixels', and if we meet a
physics limit (or more often an expense limit), then we can increase the area
over which that image is recorded.  And that *doesn't* necessarily mean huge
cameras/lenses, if you think laterally..

> I said that physical limitations prohibit
> sensors from being as small as dye
> clouds.

As above, this is only an issue if you are trying to match up your sensor with
some pre-determined film size.

> AS I said, these sensors have to get
> light to them

Which can be bent, magnified, reflected, spread...

> and they have to have wires in and out of them

hmm.  Maybe using current technology they do..
:-)

Anyway, as soon as a decent *affordable* 8Mp or better digicam arrives,
preferably with interchangable lenses and decent battery life, I'll be jumping
ship and only dragging out the film scanner for the 'archives'..  I won't be
pining for the days of dye-clouds..

mt