Re: filmscanners: Pixels per inch vs DPI

(still chuckling :) Thanks for the very refreshing posts, Wire!  Makes me glad
I came back..

Hey, Austin.. Drop the loupe, hop up from your desk, stick an 11" x 17" 300dpi
print on the wall next to a 200 and a 100 - and then take 2 steps backward..

It is generally agreed that your average photolab print is at best 200 dpi, and
yet they are quite sharp even under close, say 10", scrutiny.  So for an image
that will be viewed at 24" or more, 100 dpi may be not only acceptable, but
*extremely* acceptable.  I agree 240 dpi and up is nice, but I would strongly
encourage folk to *try* lower resolutions and decide for themselves.  You may
find those images you were scared to crop because they would end up with too
few pixels, may just be usable after all..

Umm, maybe it is just that your printer doesn't work well at 100 dpi, Austin..?
 :-))

mark t (quickly ducking for cover!)

Earlier, Wire pontificated: