RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

>From Merriam-Webster dictionary
One entry found for decimate.
Top of Form
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>  <<...OLE_Obj...>>  <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Bottom of Form
Main Entry: dec·i·mate
Pronunciation: 'de-s&-"mAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -mat·ed; -mat·ing
Etymology: Latin decimatus, past participle of decimare, from decimus tenth,
from decem ten
Date: 1660
1 : to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
2 : to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier -- John
Dryden>
3 a : to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the
population> b : to destroy a large part of <firebombs decimated large
sections of the city>
- dec·i·ma·tion /"de-s&-'mA-sh&n/ noun
Bottom of Form

I think you will find there is room for both uses
Modestly & Illiterately,
David