Re: RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

Thumbs Plus (a shareware browser and processor)  has these options for resizing
(OK Austin, 'decimate'!), in order of low to high quality:
- nearest neighbour
- bi-linear
- resample
- bicubic

My experiments revealed that the first 2 weren't very good (I think they were
only there for those with very slow machines), and that the difference between
'resample' (?) and bi-cubic was not much at all.

As an interesting non-f-s side issue, I found that the 'resample' method was
the most effective in reducing moire effects (those loverly patterns you get
when scanning from halftoned images).

Note for those getting started in all this, and have no money left after buying
the scanner..:) - Thumbs Plus v3.3 (registered) was recently given away on some
magazine cover CD's.  That version is quite old and is strictly 24-bit I think,
but it is the one I still use and it's VERY quick and easy.  I would recommend
it to anyone who doesn't understand/like the way PS/PSP/PI handle resizing and
resolution.  You'll still need your image editor for touchups etc but TP does
resizing/rotating, cropping, gamma-bright-contrast, RGB color adjustment and
some very nifty 'contact-sheet' printing, all *very* simply.

mt

PS - if you do try version 3.3, when installing tell it to leave its DLL's in
the Thumbs folder - I **wish** more progams offered this!!

PPS - if you're cheap like me and you can't find the free version, you can
still download v3.3 from www.cerious.com.  3.3 doesn't get 'crippled' after 30
days like the new ones.

mt