Re: filmscanners: Nikon film flatness (was Glass slide mounts)

Since you felt the need to get in your "final word" (actually several
hundred... but who is counting ;-)  I'll do the same...

I would agree with most of what you said IF,

1) Nikon made this matter clear in their advertising, or at least
somewhere that the consumer could read it

2) Knowing this fact, they provided a glass carrier included with the
scanner, since they must realize that people spending the amount they
ask for a higher end consumer scanner are looking for edge to edge sharpness

3) other 4000 dpi scanners were unable to do any better in this department.

Clearly (excuse the pun) this is NOT the case in any of the above.

Personally, I don't care if the problem with these scanners is due to
low lux light sources, bad lenses, optical design or because Nikon is
from the planet Mars.  The point is, the problem not only exists and is
left basically unacknowledged, but a good many people apparently don't
much like it, and it would appear the same good many people do not want
to ravage their mounted slides to place them into glass carriers, and
deal with that whole range of problems.

I guess the real question for many is, does whatever advantage the Nikon
film scanners provide (if any) over the competition (SS4000, SS4000+,
Canon FS4000, etc) justify all the problems this shallow DOF creates in
  the work flow?

That is up to each individual, but I think they ALL deserved the right
to have known what to expect BEFORE they made their purchase.  If Nikon
was more forthright about this matter, I'd have little more, if
anything, to say about it.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.