Re: filmscanners: Lossless JPEG's? was Hello

G'day Mark--

Phil Lippincot recently posted about the existence of lossless JPEG
and is the one who first mentioned that quality level 12 in Photoshop
6 invokes JPEG's lossless mode.  He produces drum scanner software
and says his software supports lossless JPEG as a way of making those
huge scans a bit more manageable with no image degradation.  Phil
suggests that you can prove it to yourself my saving an image in both
uncompressed TIFF and JPEG quality 12 (in Photoshop), then re-opening
both files, then merging them into one file with two layers, then
setting the blend mode to difference.

JPEG LS is part of the next-generation JPEG standard and it's not
clear whether it's been finalized or not.

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com