From:   Jeff Spirer [mailto:jeff@spirer.com]
Sent:   Friday, October 19, 2001 4:58 PM
To:     filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject:        filmscanners: Silverfast Frustration

I received a SS120 earlier this week and have been plagued with minor
problems that are not explained anywhere.  However, the worst of these is
driving me nuts, and the absence of any useful Silverfast documentation
with the product has put me in the position of bothering this list with a
very simple problem.

I cannot get the software to show me a 6x7 prescan (or scan.)  The
operation bar (or whatever it's called) let's me switch to 6x7, but it will
only display if I scan at 6x4.5.  If I click on the frame viewer, it does
show a small preview of the correct frame but if I click on it, it goes off
and scans but displays nothing.  I am sure there is a very simple solution
to this.

I tried Vuescan for a bit (with another scanner) and decided I didn't like
its poor documentation and difficult user interface, so when I bought the
SS120, I paid for the extra bundle.  Unfortunately, it seems just as
difficult.  For the price they extract, there should be a useable manual
and good help files.

Anyway, any answer to this is welcome, since I am essentially shut down.

Also, a quick SS120 question - the manual says to insert the carrier until
the light starts blinking.  Mine doesn't do that.  I have to insert the
carrier until it grabs it and then decides to suck it in.  The light only
blinks on eject.  Is this normal?

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/